Glenwood High School from Durban travelled up north last weekend with their 1st XV Rugby Team to lock horns with Monnas (Monument Hoërskool from Krugersdorp), known around Krugersdorp as ‘Die Wit Bulle’. This was a fast-paced action packed game up to the last minute.

Both teams showed their intent early on and it was clear that this game would be exciting.

Glenwood opened their account after three minutes. Left winger Joe Jonas broke through the Monnas defence, with great supportive play from Dylan Pretorius and Ruan Oliver and sent 8th man George Luzolo crossing the try line and making it easy for Glenwood to draw first blood.

Monnas regained possession after the restart and launched their counter attack from just outside their 22m. Monnas opted to play it wide and Reuben Barnard at a flying speed had an easy run, past full back Rynhardt Jonker as the only defender, to score in the left-hand corner.

Monnas again looked dangerous from the kick off. Their attack led them up the field to Glenwood’s 22m where a senseless mistake turned into a penalty that came to Glenwood’s rescue. After some exciting play and a couple of phases, Glenwood found themselves back at Monnas’ try line. Jayden Hendrikse took the ball from the base of the ruck, passed it behind his back to left winger Joe Jonas who stepped his way over the line for Glenwood’s second try. Jayden Hendrikse again converted. The score 14-5.

Glenwood continued dominating and pushing Monnas back to their 22m. Glenwood were awarded a scrum just outside Monnas’ 22m and straight in front of the poles. George Luzolo picked up the ball from the back of the scrum, made a short pass to Jayden Hendrikse who attacked on the blindside with centre Conan la Fleur for support. Jayden dummied his way through, drawing 3 defenders to set up Conan la Fleur with an open try line to dot down in the right-hand corner. Jayden Hendrikse converted. The score was 21-5 after 17 minutes.

Both teams showed resilience, but a couple of handling errors and penalties put a pause to this exciting match. A special moment of brilliance from Monnas’ fullback Dean Lategan, who caught the ball from his own kick, to send centre Henco van Wyk over in the left-hand corner for Monnas’ second try.

Glenwood went into halftime leading 21-10 with everyone at the Ras van Rooyen field on the edge of their seats with an exciting 2nd half to come from these two teams. The second half started with the same fast pace and intensity as the first.

An early penalty for Glenwood and quick thinking from Jayden Hendrikse who went for the tap-and-go option, finding right wing Jean Roux on the inside but who was tackled a couple of meters from the try line. Quick thinking and a quick ball sent George Luzolo, fighting off a couple of defenders but still managed to score his 2nd try of the match. Jayden Hendrikse converted his 4th conversion to make the score 28-10.

Both Monnas and Glenwood were still hungry for more and kept on fighting for possession and running the ball from different areas on the field. Unfortunately, a couple of silly mistakes and errors cost the respective teams their momentum.

Glenwood’s next exciting try came courtesy of inside centre JC Conradie’s stepping through the defence line, passing to Conan la Fleur just before the try line to score his 2nd try. The conversion was successful and the score 35-10.

Monnas refused to give up and kept on testing Glenwood’s defence and with a couple of good runs and phases, Monnas managed to find some space with fullback Dean Lategan. Unfortunately, another handling error put an end to their counter attack. Glenwood started their attack from inside their 22m with Conan la Fleur spotting a gap in the defence. The ball was carried to the middle of the field where Jayden Hendrikse with another behind-the-back pass to Rynhardt Jonker caught the Monnas defence napping and went through for Glenwood’s 6th try of the day, right under the post with an easy conversion for Jayden Hendrikse and the score at 42-10.

Monnas was quick with the restart and Glenwood went into 6th gear.  They gained valuable metres up to the halfway line. Strong carries from Siyanda Cele, Dylan Pretorius and Lindokuthle Luthuli set up a ruck on the 10m line of Monnas, with only one defender on the blindside. Jayden Hendrikse was quick to pick up and run, dragging the defender wide with his dummy and crossing the whitewash for Glenwood’s 7th try. Again, Jayden converted setting the score at 49-10.

Monnas did not give up and their resilience showed as they worked their way back … fighting. They were rewarded with a late try thanks to 8th man Izan Esterhuizen bursting over the line. Unfortunately, some off-the-ball play by lock Werner Coetzee resulted in a yellow card and a penalty to Monnas at the restart. ‘’Die Wit Bulle” accepted and with the advantage of an extra man, managed to sneak in another try in the corner with a successful conversion and setting the score at 49-22. A somewhat respectable come-back from Monnas with 39 points behind 5 minute earlier.

Wian van der Walt of Monnas only converted one try. Whereas Jayden, again, had a perfect record of 7 conversions.

It was an excellent show of what school rugby offers with lots of exciting play and individual brilliance. Congratulations to the Green Machine for your 49-22 win and thank you to Monnas for a spectacular game.