On Saturday it was time for the much anticipated Derby between Glenwood High School and Durban High School (DHS), arguably the most important fixture on the Glenwood calendar. Glenwood played 12 away games and it was great to play with a full-house Green Machine support. It was also the first time that the Green Machine had the privilege to play on their beloved Dixons.

The game coincided with Glenwood’s Old Boys weekend, which given the nature of this fixture, added an incredible hype to this match.

The match started out fiercely, with both teams trying to get over the advantage line and testing their opponents’ defence.

Glenwood’s fans were ecstatic when the team burst inside DHS’ 22 m line and Jaden Hendrikse with quick ball, spread the ball wide and found 8th man George Luzolo to beat the DHS defender on the inside and score Glenwood’s first try came within the first # minutes showing much promise for the rest of the game. Jaden Hendrikse failed to convert and the Green Machine lead 5-0.

The Green Machine was ready for 2nd gear and started getting into rhythm when silly play from DHS winger Malusi Ntuli, deliberately knocking the ball down, resulted in a yellow card. Play was back in DHS 22m with Glenwood on the attack, when 8th man Celimpilo Gumede got the ball, tackled by lock pair Werner Coetzee and Lunga Ncube and lost the ball backwards. Lunga Ncube was quick to pounce on the loose ball and easily ran through for his first try of the game. The try went unconverted and Glenwood extended their lead to 10-0 after 11 minutes.

The Green Machine found themselves back at the DHS try line. Dylan Pretorius passed out wide to find Conan Le Fleur who muscled his way over the try line. Glenwood took advantage of the extra man (with DHS’ yellow card), scoring their third try. Testing windy conditions tested the kickers throughout the game. Glenwood 15 DHS 0.

DHS looked like they were finding their feet, getting into their rhythm when another handling error broke their momentum, resulting in a scrum just inside Glenwood’s half. Jaden Hendrikse was quick to feed the scrum and got the ball out to Dylan Pretorius who set up his dynamic backline. Some miscommunication between DHS backline players opened a gap for the number 10 who skilfully slipped through the gap. The boys from Glenwood were all on their feet, cheering, as he sped his way up the field beating 2 defenders in spectacular moment of individual brilliance Darted it down the corner for try number 4.

Glenwood went into the break leading 20-0 and with DHS staring down the barrel, it was always going to be an exciting half. A repeat of last year’s comeback did not seem likely.

The second half started as the first, very frantic. Glenwood found themselves in trouble early on when George Luzolo was penalised and awarded a yellow card for repeated infringements. DHS gladly accepted and found their way over the try line in the right-hand corner to score their first try, courtesy of winger Malusi Ntuli. The conversion by Shakur la Douce was successful and the score at this time was 20-7.

The question on the minds of the spectators were if a reminisce of last year’s comeback were on the cards when DHS won the derby 20-17.

Glenwood replied straight away with a try from Rynhardt Jonker with another signature behind-the-back pass from Jaden Hendrikse to score right next to the upright. Jaden extended the lead with the conversion to 27-7.

Glenwood stepped on the accelerator, going over the DHS try line again. This came from some great passing, creating the opportunity for Joe Jonas to beat the defender and dart the ball down over the try line. Try converted by Hendrikse 34-7.

The Green Machine showed their grit and kept their standards high which got Lunga Ncube to the try line to score his 2nd try of the match, driving over from 5 metres out. Jaden converted, and the score extended to 41-7. A late comeback from DHS looked highly unlikely.

Rynhardt Jonker then scored his 2nd try, from a set piece in the middle of the field, running a good line to cut back through the DHS defence and with a well-executed dummy managed to dive over in the left corner. Jaden Hendrikse converted, 48-7.

It took Glenwood only 3 minutes to crack open DHSs’ defence again. Tight head prop Thabiso Mdlethse found some space, ran up the line but the DHS player did well to intervene just in time. A pick up from quick hands down the line from Jaden Hendrikse to Dylan Pretorius put Jean Roux through to score Glenwood’s ninth try of the match. Jaden Hendrikse converted again.

The score 55-7.

DHS had a late consolation try thanks to fullback Ulrich Brown who collected a pass from Celimpilo Gumede after breaking through a tackle.  Shakur la Douce failed to convert.

The fulltime score was a magnificent 55-12 to Glenwood. Some solid play with ball in hand and cunning defence was what would define the Home team’s performance.


Tries: G. Luzolo, L. Ncube (2), C. le Fleur, D. Pretorius, R. Jonker (2), J. Jonas, J. Roux

Conversions: J. Hendrikse (5)

DHS: 12

Tries: M. Ntuli, U. Brown

Conversion: S. la Douce